Saturday, June 11, 2011

Nick "Based" Scoulios

If I were holding my thumb and forefinger very, very close to each other, you might be able to get an idea of how little I understood about physics before arriving at NYUAD. For those of you who are short on the whole imagineering mindset, that means: embarrassingly little.

Nick, as one of the NYU Washington Square Seniors, tasked with the catalysis of this new University, would be the one I'd occasionally turn to whenever I found myself unable to create more space between my fingers by myself. Not only was he helpful (and able to explain circuits to the pathetically low level in which I was operating) but also was quite skillful at using the hand-symbol I use to represent my Physics-Class shortcomings for other purposes:

A little Clue: He's got the smallest beard of the lot.

Nick Scoulios was both my equivalent to Physics Yahoo! Answers and a companion in meditation. When I say that he was "skillful" at what he did, I might be a bit hard to understand, unless they are suddenly levitating and understanding the very strings that hold the universe together, there are very few ways in which you could prove that someone can properly meditate (and even then those last two could easily be accomplished with enough knowledge of Quantum Levitation and String Theory). How "skillful" Nick was, I have gathered not only due to the consistency with which he pursued understanding more about himself and the world, but by the way in which he was able to draw other people to him, defuse situations and make the hair in the back of my neck stand up if he felt like it.

The suave man with the shades may be one of the hardest mad people to describe, for he is one of those people you just have to meet, but that just makes him even more worthy of the title. I hope to one day be able to reach people like this man, for he isn't just Searching for the Mad Ones - he attracts them.


“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup,
you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle,
you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”
-Bruce Lee


No comments:

Post a Comment